Friday, May 3, 2013

Klaus Obermeier + Gideon Obarzaneks + Kevin Warwick


Apparition - Klaus Obermaier & Ars Electronica Futurelab

This mixed media performance by Klaus is an interesting display of multimedia arts. There is digital lighting overwhelming the scenes along with a lot of technology involved with costuming and choreographing. At some points I find it hard to decide whether to focus on the performer or the digital spectacle in the background. The background soundtrack is also interesting and adds another dynamic to the piece. I think this piece is supposed to tell a story and I believe it might be a story about a persons life. 


Gideon Obarzaneks 

The digital multimedia dance performance choreographed by Obarzaneks is dazzling. I wonder if he uses an thermal camera to detect where dancers are located or if the performance is just that tightly choreographed and prated which is very possible. Rather than a live performance this piece to me seems like a video art piece with a very digital feel. In his next piece Obarzaneks says he is more focused on using projectors to reveal dancers rather than just compliment them and this is extremely evident. I like how the end of this video shows kind of behind the scenes of how the performances are put together because in most other instances we watch them but I am left wondering how it was really created.  


 Kevin Warwick -  I cyborg
This seems like something out of a science fiction movie - technology is progressing at an astonishingly fast rate. I can tell Warwicks passion for technology by the fact that he used himself as his own guinea pig and test subject to be a human cyborg. Getting implants in your nervous system is a big deal. who knows if it will kill him some day? Maybe just because this technology is new but it kind of scares me, if human beings can become more advanced, I hope the technology and capabilities would not fall into the wrong hands. This often happens with technology when with all its benefits someone always uses it for evil. Implanting electronics into the body seems like a slippery slope. 


No comments:

Post a Comment